Monday, April 19, 2010

Up and Over the Edge...Danger Point

I left Arkansas Friday where it was 88 degrees, only to arrive back on the island Saturday with a high of 37 and spitting snow. So, on Sunday when the sky cleared and the temp soared to 39, I gathered the neighbor and Cassanova and headed to the beach.


The tide was out and we combed the beach for treasures and just let the fresh ocean air fill our lungs. How invigorating standing here and the crispness, freshness and sheer beauty still amazes me.

We just ambled along and soon we were climbing over these rocks and getting farther out on the point where the wind was really working us over. It was probably gusting up to 40 mph, and I was even finding it hard to stand up on these slick rocks. Out here, this is the only time in my life I can say I felt skinny...standing here, I could actually say the wind almost blew me over!
Before I knew it, Evan was heading up in a zig zag pattern and like a blind goat I followed him....

right up the face of a bluff and over the edge to come to rest on the top of Danger Point!!
Of course I passed on getting the camera out on the way up, my greatest desire was to take one step at a time and DO NOT look down...this was also one time I was NOT going to look back to see how far I had come.
Evan is 21, I am 49 and 9/12ths and I told him when he turned 50 I wanted him to take a hike like this and think of me when he did it!

Cassanova loved it, found a buffalo bone to chew on and we just sat and marveled at how beatuiful this place is.
I can tell the weather is changing, the wind is not cold, and there seems to be a warm sense even to the ground. Plenty of snow left on Buffalo Ridge, but it, too, will soon be gone..

I am looking forward to the summer when I can take off for the ridge and enjoy the splendor and green I know is coming.
Who know's, if Evan and Cassanova tag along, I wonder what we will find up and over that ridge??