Thursday, September 1, 2011

Halibut Fishing 101

After fishing like crazy off the city dock, I felt I was getting pretty good at this sport and even mastered the skill of filleting. So when I was invited to go out on skiff and fish for the famous yet delicious Halibut.....I was in fish heaven.
























I was told about 3 times the price of the rod and reel, so I stored that in my head and thought whatever you do, "don't drop this pole overboard!" I'm sure it would have been more acceptable to go 0verboard myself, since the price tag on me has yet to be determined!



















First things first and bait had to be caught....and this guy was no bigger than an overgrown minnow, but we all got our hooks baited and off we went.


I had license, two power bands to prevent seasickness, water and the ever handy camera!!





















Gotta have that self photo to prove I am here!




















What a beautiful evening and even more beautiful view of Mud Bay in Sand Point.
































And what a backdrop the Ridge adds to the view!!
























I was feeling pretty proud of my catch (little white guy top corner) until Nate hauled this monster in and plopped it down beside mine. Now, who is the bait??



















The sunset created such gorgeous colors and seemed like rainbow icing on a cake!
























And then I spotted a vertical rainbow over the Ridge and it was like God said, "here ya go, have another slice!"



















As we headed back to the harbor, whales were breaching and rolling all around us and we had to stop and just soak in the beautiful surroundings. Knowing this was probably the one and only time I would be out here before I leave, I had to fight back a few tears.































The reflection of the sky in the window was a shot I couldn't pass up.























As we pulled back in to the harbor a little before 11 PM, the water was like glass and Lesley was waiting on the dock to catch our victorious return back home.

Once at home with a freezer full of fish, I couldn't help but let few tears slide, this was truly the trip and adventure of my life. Yes, thank you God!!