Monday, September 21, 2009

Mountaintop Experience

This is where I'm headed on a gorgeous September day and I had all day to get there..... I am bound and determined to find some buffalo or at least spot them from a distance. So since they haven't come down to see me I have to go looking for them....

And this is the trail I use to get there.......

It took about 2 hours of an uphill climb. Lot's of signs along the way, tracks and poo everywhere. I had to be quiet toping each ridge for fear I would stare into a buffalo's eye...or worse..

A familiar sign is Pavlov watching in the west, if I can see the volcano, I know the day is going to be clear. I changed into sweatshirt, vest and wind breaker the farther I climbed, the wind was fierce and chilly. I had a balaclava wrapped around my nose, hat pulled down over my ears and even gloves at one point.


And then, the peak!! I made it!! I had to sit and eat my lunch and just survey this vast area, I saw numerous smaller lakes, islands beyond the border of Popof, eagles, ravens, but no buffalo. Not even a hint of hair, only fresh layed tracks and it seems they have disappeared.


In the distance is Red Cove lake and a smaller fresh water lake up here. The buffalo obviously have plenty of fresh water so this allows them to roam farther and in any direction...except mine.


The mainland in the distance and the mountains over there still have snow covered peaks. There is that Aleutian blue water I have come to love so much.

The terrain up here is tundra, rocky and pretty easy to walk on compared to other lower areas I've been to. You have to watch your footing every step, one slip up here and if you twist an ankle...whew what a horrible thought. I do carry a radio, just in case of emergencies.


Well, I hiked this on Sunday and was disappointed I had not seen a buffalo...BUT I was informed the QT tribe had bought two young cows to turn loose into the herd and they were coming in on the ferry Monday.

OKAY, here was my chance..I may never see one out roaming this island, but by golly I was going to see one on the ferry before they turned them loose.

So off I went with half the town to watch the buffalo get unloaded and I was able to climb right up on the side of the trailer and take a picture of the "Debil Woman" herself. I named her that because her eye glowed at me and even though she looked small, she looked real angry, too.

Well, I've climbed over one of the highest peaks on the island, climbed up one side and down the other of Battle Mountain, walked to Red Cove Lake - three times - and finally I got to see a buffalo!!! What in the world am I going to do for entertainment now??!!

Who know's? There is a whole other side of the island just waiting to be explored and I have new boots and renewed adventure and energy to take me there.


Anybody coming with me?