Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Going it alone

Sometimes a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do! And, if that means climbing Battle Mountain alone..then so be it...


The hike up here isn't the wide four wheeler trail like on Buffalo Ridge, this path is more like a rabbit trail.
It was too nice and had been too long since I really stretched myself, so after work, I loaded up and came out here to get some much needed fresh air and peace and quiet.
After being in Cold Bay for 2 weeks and unable to hike around cause of the bears, the whirlwind week at work and on call, I desperately needed to get back into island mode, and enjoy the terrain.
The ground plants are well on their way to fall foliage, so colorful now, but in a few short weeks it will be shades of brown all over the place for another winter...
Fall isn't just in the air..it's all around me...just as colorful as Arkansas, only here, fall is at my feet!
After climbing, crawling, gasping for air and calf muscles screaming...I finally made it! The view from here makes you forget all the rest and calms the soul and spirit instantly.
Red Cove Beach in the distance..maybe I'll visit there next week..












What a spot to sit and just watch the world unfold in front of me.......all the hustle and bustle that's going on out there...I don't know any of it!!





Who needs the pie in the sky when I have the "eye in the sky on me?"









What a gorgeous view as the shadows of the clouds pass. It is breath-takingly beautiful up here, but my absolute favorite place to hike and spend quality time is over there....Buffalo Ridge...maybe I'll visit there the week after next!!








The best supper ever...served right on top Battle Mountain!!


Looking back on my accomplishment for the day, the sun rays just lit up the tundra floor like a big exclamation point and again I was sore, tired and hungry...but oh so satisfied!!
Ahhhhhh, another good day in my Aleutian Adventure!
TYG!!