Sunday, May 3, 2009

Beach Combing

This weekend was by far the most beautiful since arriving here March 21st. The sky was crystal clear and so blue, almost as blue as the ocean that surrounds us here. I hiked to an old volcano vent on Saturday and saw the lake on the other side of the island. It would've taken another couple of hours to hike there and I decided I wanted to get closer to the beaches, so I hiked the bluffs back and did a little beach combing.

Found a few unusual shells and a perfect sand dollar and just enjoyed the sound of the ocean rushing against the shore. The temp hung around 55, cool breeze and just absolutley a gorgeous day on Sunday.



Eagle down caught in the reed grass by the beach.

Old weathered and worn boat.


Old pier posts covered with barnacles.




Under the old pier at the old weather torn Peter Pan cannery. Rumor is someone has bought this and is going to tear it down and build a Bed and Breakfast Inn here.


Old Peter Pan cannery.


And then....to treat myself after all the walking and hiking I got to do, I made my first fish pie!! Homemade crust and all and it was good.
Finished off the day by sitting in my new lawn chair visiting with Clark and Jonathon, locum PA's, and enjoyed good conversation, sweet tea and plenty of Alaksa sunshine.
Thank you God!!