Sunday, June 28, 2009

I'm walking in sunshine!!

Had a gorgeous day for a walk yesterday and walk I did....and walk and walk and walk....I started on out my own and went to the north end of the island, and hit Sand Dollar beach at low tide. Along the bluff all the wild flowers are blooming and I tried to capture as many shots of the different varieties I could. The tundra is so green and lush, lots of low lying shrubs, moss and very few alder bushes.

The weather was 54 degrees and by the time I was on the beach and away from the wind, I took my socks and shoes off and walked the beach looking for treasures. I found several conch shells and a perfect sand dollar. I felt like a kid with a precious find. I have it in the window of my apartment and if it starts to stink in a day or two, I wonder how precious it will be at that point. Saw some crab washed ashore, a tiny jellyfish almost naked to the eye and even a few more pieces of petrified rock.






These are called black rose, to me they look like a day lilly stalk and greenery and the blooms have a pungent odor to them. I also hear there is a root ball that has a rice like seed in it and people cook it and eat it. I'll just take pictures thank you.

Probably my favorite, the arctic lupine.


Even dandelions thrive here and they add color and beauty to the tundra. No one even cuts them from their yards. Down south people pay good money to have them removed or poisoned from their yards.


These are salmon berry blooms. The shrub part looks alot like wild black berry bushes back home. The berries are picked in late July and August and this must be a good year, because they are in abundance everywhere!!


This looks like a rhodedendum type bloom, not sure of the name.

Wild violets or forget-me-nots?
These were strnge plants like straws growing all over the marshy area in the moss.
There were families out on the beach with kids playing in the tide pools which were very warm. The waves were minimal and even a kayaker was out enjoying the low tide and warm day.
Beaches are clearly marked here so one doesn't get lost or maybe so the passing boats have some sort of land marker!!






Even the lupine grow among the driftwood and shore lines adding yet more color.

I had put on a crock pot of barley and mushroom soup so when I finished this hike, I had a warm delicious lunch waiting on me, laundry, too, so I did chores, cleaned and got ready for another hike. This time, I went with Denise and Betty and we headed for the south end of the island and hiked the trails out there. Again, more wild flowers and this end of the island is host to more alders, birds, eagles, and real bluffs and crevices I couldn't help get a shot of. The water is so clear, even from this distance you can see the rocks in the surf far below.


A view back to the north side of the island where I live.



Buttercups.



Sea lions hang out on this island and when my plane came in last week, we circled over it and I was able to see three or four just sunning themselves on the beach.


The alders almost cover the trails and I hear if there has been a bad winter, the buffalo come this far to graze and have been known to charge people. Great, no bears, snakes or ticks, just buffalo to look out for!!

But today we were blessed with beautiful weather, good company and no pests, 2, 4, or 6 legged!!