Sunday, December 6, 2009

Decorating for Christmas......Aleutian Style

When I first came out here, I was bound and determined to bring minimal "things" to try and unclutter my life. But probably what I regret more than not bringing a food processor was not bringing Christmas decorations. Namely greenery and pine cones. There are no trees here to decorate, no pine cones to pick up...my friends know of this fetish I have...and no smells to remind me of home.......only the smell of fish and lots of wind.

So, Chelsea and I found a few things that wouldn't take up too much space in my luggage and I proceeded to decorate...right along with my existing decoupage of buffalo horns, rocks, shells and what-nots.

My mother was gracious enough to take the hanging right off her front door to send with me and this is your official invitation to come enjoy the holidays with me here in Sand Point.
I strung a few red lights along my windowsill to contrast the stark white of the apartment. I loved to sit by my fireplace back home with the fire glowing and no lights but the Christmas tree and this is as close as I'll be getting this year. I don't even have Christmas music, but I bet I learn how to download some on the iPod soon enough.


The businesses in Anchorage had gone all out with poinsettias, garland, HUGE pine cones and lights and it made for such a pretty contrast with all the white snow piled around.

This may not be the extravaganza of Anchorage, but the spirit of Christmas is alive and well and the true reason we celebrate won't be obscured here on the island, no matter how windy or fishy smelling it gets.