Monday, August 16, 2010

Cold Bay...another chapter in my Aleutian Adventure


















They say a picture is worth a thousand words and hopefully that is what will happen here. I am soooo far behind in posting I am just going to let you look at some photos and hopefully they will tell the story until I can catch you up...

I am in Cold Bay working for 2 weeks and am sightseeing every chance I get, bear watching every night and just enjoying the beauty and hospitality of this quaint little town. Only 75 residents live here, well the 2 legged kind, many more 4 legged creaatures, both great and small!!
















One of the largest bird/waterfowl sanctuaries in the nation.
Parkey squirrels run around in town and everywhere on the tundra.























Bear trails through the swamps are everywhere!















A vixen and her kits looking for rodents...and looking themselves pretty mangy!


















Displayed in the lodge, this 10 ft 4 1\2 inch trophy came from here...his family gene pool scares me!


















Within 2 hours of my arrival, I spotted this!!




Frosty Mountain never looses all the snow caps...bears hibernate up there during the winter.






Beautiful, calm morning. The flag is at half mast for the late Ted Stevens, killed in a plane crash last week near Dillingham.












My place to spend the night on my arrival..with 2 Dutchmen, Wibe and Tjeerd, fish buyers from Holland.














Cold Bay Lodge from the apartment I am staying in the next two weeks.